Title: Maternal and Neonatal Illness, Health Services Utilisation, and Household Out-Of-Pocket Expenditure in Rural Ethiopia: A community-based prospective cohort study.
Project summary: The maternal and neonatal illness and death rates are still high in Ethiopia. Unfortunately, the decline in disease burden such as severe sickness and death among these two groups is very slow. There are very few studies that have investigated the incidence of diseases among these groups, how they seek healthcare, and how much it costs. The objective is to measure the incidence of maternal and neonatal illnesses, to assess the use of health services, and to measure the household out- of-pocket expenditures. This study will be carried out using a community-based cohort design in the Gedeo Zone in South Ethiopia. We will follow 1354 expectant women and their newborns. We will record illnesses, use of health services, and household expenditures. The relevance of the study is to provide evidence for strategies to reduce the incidence of severe illnesses, and to improve the use of health services.
General objective: to measure the incidence of maternal and neonatal illness, to assess the use of health services, and to measure the household out-of-pocket expenditures in rural Ethiopia.
The specific objectives are:
- To measure the incidence of maternal and neonatal illnesses
- To identify the determinants of maternal and neonatal illnesses
- To assess the rate of use of maternal and neonatal health services
- To identify the determinants of the use of maternal and neonatal health services
- To measure the household out-of-pocket expenditures on maternal and neonatal illnesses 16
Ethical approval: 10.11.16
Resarch Started December 2016
- Assessment of demographic, socioeconomic, and household conditions in rural Ethiopia
- Assessment of the incidence of maternal illness, health service utilisation, and household out-of-pocket expenditures in rural Ethiopia
- Assessment of the incidence of neonatal illness, health service utilisation, and household out-of-pocket expenditure in rural Ethiopia
Borde MT, Loha E, Johansson KA, Lindtjorn B (2019) Utilisation of health services fails to meet the needs of pregnancy-related illnesses in rural southern Ethiopia: A prospective cohort study. PLoS ONE 14(12): e0215195. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0215195