Title: Seasonal variation in food insecurity and undernutrition in rural Wolaita in Southwest Ethiopia.
Project summary: Wolaita In South Ethiopian is very densely populated area. Over the years it has experienced many episodes of severe drought and famine. Recently the Ethiopian government decentralised the management of severe acute malnutrition to community health workers, health posts and health centres. We will use a community-based observational study design to follow a cohort of children under five years and their mothers. We will record information about the households, and do anthropometric measurements of the children and their mothers. The outcome measurements are the anthropometric indices such as weight for height, height for age, made up of arm circumference, and weight for age. In addition, we will ask each household about how food secure the household is. We will use a questionnaire that we have validated in the central parts of Ethiopia, and we will now validate this in other setting with a different ethnical group using different food types.
This project aims to examine seasonal variation in food insecurity and undernutrition; ultimately evaluate the effect of the ‘productive safety net programme’ on nutritional status of children under age five years and their mothers over a year in two districts in rural Southern Ethiopia.
The specific objectives are
- To evaluate validity of the household food insecurity access scale in two districts in Wolaita in the rural Southern Ethiopia
- To assess variations in prevalence of household food insecurity across the four agricultural seasons in two districts in the rural Southern Ethiopia
- To assess variations in prevalence of undernutrition among children under age 5 years and mothers in age15-49 years across the four agricultural seasons in two districts in the rural Southern Ethiopia
- To evaluate the effect of productive safety net programme on nutritional status of children under age 5 years, and among mothers in age 15-49 years in two districts in rural Southern Ethiopia
Ethical approval: 11.11.16
- Seasonal variation in household food insecurity in two districts in Wolaita.
- Variations in the prevalence of undernutrition among children under age 5 across the four agricultural seasons in rural Ethiopia
- Undernutrition in women of reproductive age in two districts of Wolaita across four agricultural seasons of a year
Is the productive safety net programme improving the nutritional status of children under age five.